The first half proved Robert Morris could compete with the defending national champions.

With a half under my belt, I was a bit more comfortable and was beginning to concentrate on the game more. Around this time, I started to capture a bit more side stuff and my action shots were being photographed with more purpose.

But, my main mission was to still document the game. During the first half, I tried to shoot a lot of defense, which was not a success since most of the players had their backs turned to the camera. The best way to shoot defense is to have a long lens, at least a 300mm, to get close-ups on the other side of the court.

Like any sport, sometimes the game needs to be simplified when things are not running smoothly. During the second half, I covered what was happening in the game and it got easier.

I did choose a few of these shots originally, but I excluded some key moments. So, let’s just chalk that up to inexperience.

When I did go back to edit, a lot of my files were unorganized and in different folders. I recall two photos that I could not find; my shot of RoMo, RMU’s mascot, crowd surfing that made the front page of The Sentry and a picture of Coron Williams that I saw in Nick Buzzelli’s article and sound slide.

I switched computers, even worse I went from a Windows laptop to a Macbook. I threw both hard drives on a backup drive and they thought they would always be there, until I looked for them.

With cloud storage more popular, I recommend finding a service to backup your files to avoid cross compatibility issues. Also, keep them organized.

Previously, I mentioned about shooting with the 1DX. At the end of the game, my 32-gigabyte card was full. I shot JPEGS with the RAW files, which is something I do not advise if you are shooting sports.

When RMU locked down the Wildcats and took a 13-point lead under nine minutes was the first time I thought they were going to win.

Despite that, Kentucky still had several five star recruits and high school All-Americans who did not want to go down with a fight.

The tension was building late in the game and Kentucky was closing in. A back and forth affair blossomed.

RMU’s last possession started with Velton Jones running some clock, calling a timeout in the corner. Seemed odd to me!

Then the famous inbounds play. Mike McFadden to the line.

Both free throws were good. All the photographers then went from sitting to kneeling. I followed suit.

To the left of me were hundreds of students in red about to flood the court. And in front of me were the last few seconds that had to tick off the scoreboard.

Kyle Wiltjer put up a shot that bounced off the rim and Velton Jones swatted the ball down to the other side of the court.

The clock expired.

I’m going to put out the final installment of my look back out on the four year anniversary of the game. Hope you all enjoy!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s